Factors that Influence the Implementation of Nursing Process among Nurses in Nnamdi Azikiwe Teaching Hospital Anambra State
Asian Journal of Research in Nursing and Health,
Aims: The emphasis of this study was to investigate the factors that may influence the implementation and utilization of nursing process among nurses.
Study Design: A descriptive survey method was employed in this study.
Place and Duration of Study: The study was carried out at Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital (NAUTH), Nnewi, for a period of one month.
Methodology: The population of the study consists of nurses working in various wards and special units in NAUTH. A pre-tested, self-report questionnaire was used to collect demographic information, and statement regarding factors that might have influenced the implementation of nursing process of which respondents answered. The data collected was analyzed using percentage and presented in tables. The hypothesis was tested using Chi-square analysis at significant level of 0.05.
Results: Out of the workgroup of 143 nurses majority (76.2%) have not fully implemented nursing process in daily care of clients. Only 23.8% have implemented nursing process fully. 65% of the nurses identified lack of cooperation among nurses as the major impediment to implementation of nursing process, majority of respondents (74.1%) subsequently suggested organization of regular update workshops as a way to impacting and promoting the required knowledge of practical use of nursing process in order to avert the identified problem.
Conclusion: The implementation of nursing process in NAUTH has not been fully established in the daily care of clients. There is need for nurse leaders to make concerted efforts to supervise subordinates towards the implementation of nursing process.
How to Cite
2. Nwonu EI. Nursing Process Concept and Practice. 2nd Ed. Enugu: Snap Press; 2002.
3. Berman A, Erb E, Kosier B, Synder SJ. Fundamentals of Nursing.8th Ed. New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2008
4. Ibrahim RA, Abd-Allah KF, Arafa OS, Mohammed SS. Effect of nursing care standards on nurses performance in caring for patients with cardiac arrhythmias. Egyptian Nursing Journal. 2017;14(3) 251-258.
5. Agunwah,EU. Evaluation of implementation of Nursing process among nurses in Enugu. West African Journal of Nursing. 2010; 21(2):8-14.
6. Agyeman-Yeboah J, Korsah KA, Okrah J. Factors that influence the clinical utilization of the nursing prcess at a hospital in Accra, Ghana. BMC Nurs. 2017; 16(30).
7. Aseratie M, Murugan R, Molla M. Assessment of factors affecting implementation of nursing process among nurses in selected Governmental Hospitals in Addis Ababa. J Nurs Care. 2014;3:170.
8. Jansoon I, Bahtsevani C, Pilhammar E, Forsberg A. Factors and conditions that influence the implementation of standardized nursing care plans. Open Journal of Nursing. 2010; 4:25-34.
9. Eman AE, Etway Hafaz. Impact of collaboration behavior among staff nurses on their quality of work life and job satisfaction. Egyptian Nursing Journal. 2022; 19(2) 189-199.
10. Miskir Y, Emishaw S. Derterminants of nursing process implementation in North East Ethopia: Cross-sectional study. Nursing Research and Practice. 2018;
Abstract View: 130 times
PDF Download: 34 times