Entry Requirements as a Predictor of Academic Performance at Nursing and Midwifery Training Colleges in Ghana - A Case Study at Dunkwa-on-Offin

Boateng Acheampong Emmanuel

Nursing and Midwifery Training College, Dunkwa-On-Offin, Ghana.

Philip Gyaase

Nursing and Midwifery Training College, Dunkwa-On-Offin, Ghana.

David Ben Sampson

Nursing and Midwifery Training College, Dunkwa-On-Offin, Ghana.

Christopher Lartey

Nursing and Midwifery Training College, Dunkwa-On-Offin, Ghana.

Albert Opoku *

Nursing and Midwifery Training College, Tepa, Ghana.

*Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.


Abstract

Introduction: The standard of nursing education in Ghana is frequently brought to focus by stakeholders in the educational industry. This is obviously due to the emphasis placed on education by every nation as a means of economic, social and political development. The public outcry of the poor academic performance of nursing students in their semester and licensure examinations arouses researchers’ curiosity to uncover the root cause of the problem.

Objectives: To assess students’ academic performance from 2014 to 2019 at Dunkwa Nurses’ and Midwifery Training College.

Methodology: This was a retrospective quantitative study conducted at the Nursing and Midwifery Training College, Dunkwa-On-Offin in the Central Region of Ghana. The study made use of all past students of both RGN (1-5) and RM (1 & 2) form Nursing and Midwifery Training College, Dunkwa-On-Offin.  Since the researchers had all the information needed for the study at their disposal, there was no need to sample the study population. All the files for the past students both Registered General Nurses and Registered Midwives were retrieved from the Administrator of the College. The files were distributed among the researchers to assess variables like age, sex, entry grade, SHS attended, CGPA and Licensure results. Data analysis was done using Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) version 20.0 and findings presented in charts and tables as well as texts. On the Ethical Considerations, prior to the data collection, permission was obtained from the Principal of Dunkwa Nursing and Midwifery Training College. The permission obtained helped the researchers to get the needed assistance and cooperation from the school administrator and other staff responsible for the students’ files and other vital information. 

Results and Findings: An overwhelming majority of the students 591(64.0%) were within the age range 18-21 years followed by 22-25 years 296 (32.1%) while the minority were within the age range of 26-30 years. Majority of the students 763(82.7%) were able to pass their licensure examination once, 133(14.4%) students were able to pass in the second chance while minority of the students 27(2.9%) passed during their third chance. On the relationship between the students’ demographics and their licensure performance, majority of the students for all the demographic variables passed 770(83.4%) while minority 153(16.6%) failed with no statistical significance. An overwhelming majority of the students 159 (71.3%) were able to pass their licensure examination once with 61(27.4%) writing twice while 3(1.3%) writing thrice. With no statistical significance, majority of the students (49.6%, 48.7% and 58.3% respectively) within the age groups had CGPA of 3.1-3.5 while the minority of the students had CGPA  below2.0 with p-value = 0.29.

Conclusion: Students’ ages had no significance on their CGPA. Sex of the students had significance on their CGPA as most of the male students had CGPA of 3.1-3.5 while majority of the female students had CGPA of 2.6-3.0. Again, majority of the students who entered the institution with aggregate 10-16 had CGPA of 3.1-3.5 while majority of students who came with aggregate 31 and above had CGPA of 2.6-3.0 with a very high statistical significance. Moreover, most of the students who offered general science at the SHS had CGPA of 3.1-3.5 while other courses (Arts, Agric and Home science) had CGPA of 2.6-3.0 with no statistical significance. With no statistical significance, students from all levels of Senior High Schools (Regional, District and Sub-district) fell within the CGPA of 2.6-3.0.

Keywords: Academic performance, Health Training Institutions, nursing and midwifery, Dunkwa-On-Offin


How to Cite

Emmanuel , B. A., Gyaase, P., Sampson, D. B., Lartey , C., & Opoku , A. (2023). Entry Requirements as a Predictor of Academic Performance at Nursing and Midwifery Training Colleges in Ghana - A Case Study at Dunkwa-on-Offin . Asian Journal of Research in Nursing and Health, 6(1), 138–152. Retrieved from https://journalajrnh.com/index.php/AJRNH/article/view/114

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

References

Adu-Gyamfi S, Brenya E. Nursing in Ghana: A search for Florence Nightingale in and African city. Int Sch Res Notices. 2016;2016:9754845.

Dube MB, Mlotshwa PR. Factors influencing enrolled nursing students’ academic performance at a selected private nursing education institution in KwaZulu-Natal. National Library of Medicine; 2018.

Adatara P, Amooba PA, Afaya A, Salia SM, Avane MA, Kuug A et al. Challenges experienced by midwives working in rural communities in the Upper East Region of Ghana: a qualitative study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2021;21(1): 287.

Darling-Hammond L, Flook L, Cook-Harvey C, Barron B, Osher D. Implications for educational practice of the science of learning and development. Appl Dev Sci. 2020;24(2):97-140.

Cantor P, Osher D, Berg J, Steyer L, Rose T. Malleability, plasticity, and individuality: how children learn and develop in context 1. Appl Dev Sci. 2019;23(4):307-37.

Osher D, Cantor P, Berg J, Steyer L, Rose T. Drivers of human development: how relationships and context shape learning and development 1. Appl Dev Sci. 2020;24(1):6-36.

Terry DR, Peck B, Smith A, Stevenson T, Baker E. Is nursing student personality important for considering a rural career? J Health Organ Manag. 2019;33(5):617-34.

Smith T, Sutton K, Pit S, Muyambi K, Terry D, Farthing A et al. Health professional students’ rural placement satisfaction and rural practice intentions: A national cross‐sectional survey. Aust J Rural Health. 2018;26(1):26-32.

Valiente C, Lemery-Chalfant K, Swanson J. Prediction of kindergartners’ academic achievement from their effortful control and emotionality: evidence for direct and moderated relations. J Educ Psychol. 2020;102(3):550-60.

Ahluwalia SC, Damberg CL, Silverman M, Motala A, Shekelle PG. What defines a high-performing health care delivery system: A systematic review. Joint Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2017;43(9):450-9.

Fawaz MA, Hamdan-Mansour AM, Tassi A. Challenges facing nursing education in the advanced healthcare environment. Int J Afr Nurs Sci. 2018;9:105-10.

Wang S, Zhou M, Chen T, Yang X, Chen G, Wang M et al. Grit and the brain: spontaneous activity of the dorsomedial prefrontal cortex mediates the relationship between the trait grit and academic performance. Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 2017;12(3):452-60. doi:10.1093/scan/nsw145 %J Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience.

Waxman HC, Gray JP, Padron YN. Review of research on educational resilience. Retrieved from Washington, DC;2018.

Duckworth AL, Quinn PD. Development and validation of the Short Grit Scale (GRIT–S). J Pers Assess. 2009;91(2):166-74.

Pitt V, Powis D, Levett-Jones T, Hunter SJN. e.t. 2021. Factors influencing nursing students' academic and clinical performance and attrition: an integrative literature review;32(8):903-13.

Jeffreys MR. Jeffreys’s Nursing Universal Retention and Success model: overview and action ideas for optimizing outcomes A–Z. Nurse Educ Today. 2015;35(3):425-31.

Khalaila R. The relationship between academic self-concept, intrinsic motivation, test anxiety, and academic achievement among nursing students: mediating and moderating effects. Nurse Educ Today. 2015;35(3):432-8.

Radi SM. Baccalaureate nursing students’ motivation for attending university and its relationship with their academic achievement. Int J Educ Res. 2018;1(7):1-12.

Kelly DR, Matthews MD, Bartone PT. Grit and hardiness as predictors of performance among West Point cadets. Mil Psychol. 2014;26(4):327-42.

Alshammari F, Saguban R, Pasay-an E, Altheban A, Al-Shammari L. Factors affecting the academic performance of student nurses: A cross-sectional study. J Nurs Educ Pract. 2017;8(1).

Credé M, Tynan MC, Harms PD. Much ado about grit: A meta-analytic synthesis of the grit literature. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2017; 113(3):492-511.

Duckworth A. Grit: the power of passion and perseverance. New York: Scribner; 2016.

Duckworth AL, Kirby TA, Tsukayama E, Berstein H, Ericsson KAJS. p, & science, p. Deliberate practice spells success: Why grittier competitors triumph at the National Spelling Bee. 2011;2(2): 174-81.